The following technical support notification provides guidance for programming the email features of the TLS-450PLUS, TLS4c and TLS4i automatic tank gauges. Only certified contractors should install or service Veeder-Root products. Download Technical Support Notification - TLS4 Series Programming – Email Setup & Troubleshooting (576047-368).
The TLS4 series consoles allow the user to send out emails with a range of reports from daily inventory readings to tank or line testing history. This technical support notification explains how to program the console to send out emails and provides troubleshooting steps for when emails are not received.
The instructions below are intended to be used in conjunction with the TLS-450PLUS/TLS4 Operator's Manual (577014-110).
Menu > Setup > Communication > Ethernet Port
- Confirm a CAT5 cable is connected to the correct ethernet port.
- Confirm the ethernet port is working by checking the port for lights. No lights or a red light can indicate a bad port.
- For static IP addresses, confirm the IP Default Gateway is set to enabled. Only one port can use the default gateway, which allows outside network access.
- Confirm there is a Primary and Secondary DNS
Note: Google’s public DNS servers are 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
Menu > Setup > Automatic Events > Address Book
To add a new contact, select Actions > Add Contact
- Name: Contact’s name.
- Email: Contact’s email address.
Menu > Setup > Automatic Events > Autoconnect Tasks
To add a new task, select Action > Add Task
- Connection Mode: Email
- Reports: Select all reports to be emailed to the contact.
- Contacts: Select the contact’s name.
- Trigger: Select “on time” or “on event.”
On Time: Select the date and time for the email to be sent.
On Event: Select the event and/or alarm for an email to be sent.
To edit or delete a task, select the check box, then select Actions > Edit Task or Remove Task
Menu > Setup > Communication > SMTP Relay
Networks may have security settings that are incompatible with console defaults. If so, a compatible SMTP server will need to be specified in order to send mail.
- Sender Name: This specifies the name that will be displayed as the sender of the email.
- Sender Email Address: This specifies the originating email address.
- Use System Hostname: If enabled, the system hostname is used and is displayed below. If disabled, you can enter a valid hostname in the field below. The default is enabled.
- Sender Hostname: The email address after the @ symbol such as “veeder.com.”
- Relayhost / Smarthost: The name of the email server: “na.companymail.com.”
SMTP Relay: Send Test Email
Located on the bottom of the SMTP Relay screen.
Note: The following steps require software version 9S or higher.
On the bottom of the page, there’s an option to Send Test Email.
- Test Email Receiver: Address of the email recipient.
- Choose Email from Contacts: Opens a selection field with a list of contacts from the Address Book.
- Send Test Email: Sends a test email to the test email receiver.
Menu > Setup > Automatic Events > Task Log
- Confirm the console is sending out the correct autoconnect tasks. If the events are not listed, confirm console programming.
- Check spam and junk folders for the missing emails.
Testing the DNS Servers
Note: The following steps require software version 8S or higher.
Note: The following steps require a laptop to be connected to the same network as the console and access to the web portal.
- Open a web browser.
- In the address bar, type inhttps://y.y.y.ywhere y.y.y.yis the console’s IP address.
- Enter the username and password.
- Press “Sign In.”
- Setup > Comm > Other
- Then select “Here.”
This will open a new page.
- Select Diagnostics > Traceroute
- Address: Type in the Primary DNS.
- Select the “Traceroute” button.
- Console can reach the DNS server or where it is getting blocked.
Note: If the DNS server cannot be reached, then an IT professional should be contacted for additional help navigating the site’s network.
- Contact Veeder-Root Technical Support at 1-800-323-1799 for additional help or questions.
- Learn more the TLS4 Series Consoles on our webpage.
- Technical Support Notification - TLS4 Series Programming – Email Setup & Troubleshooting (576047-368)